Apple LiveListen Options

Hey everyone. Had my Flipper for about a week now and couldn’t be happier, that said im also very new to this field so i apologize if this is a dumb or repeated question. To ask bluntly is there any methods to detect when someone is using Apple LiveListen or similar audio spying methods. My aunt pulls this all the time, leaving her phone at the far end of the house from her or passing 7 outlets to charge from a certain one, kinda obvious shes using it. Its only annoying at this point but i assume this could be a security issue else where and wondering if anyone knows a method for detection or prevention for audio spying.

1 Like

I don’t see any way the Flipper could detect that. It appears to be Bluetooth and well the Flipper has Bluetooth it’s capabilities are very limited. People are experimenting with add on devices to extend the Flipper Bluetooth capabilities but even with one of the NRF boards it seems unlikely you could tell what she is listening too. You could potentially detect where the earbuds are but even that is more then the Flipper can do. Apple is pretty good about MAC ID randomization. I believe it would take something more complex. Then I believe some type of fingerprinting could be used.

With more complex equipment it might be possible to purposely feed audio to the phone then examine what the BT signal that is being transmitted. Then a correlation attack might be possible.

In my opinion you would be far better off using a social engineering attack. Leak information when she is listening. If she is indeed very nosy a little diary with a combination lock and accidentally saying the code out of earshot might work. Then you would need some way to know it had been tampered with.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have been looking into it and for now it seems a device specifically meant for detecting A/V spying is still the way to go. Looking at different scanners. The more advanced ones seem to be able to pick up bluetooth activity rather well. Beeping everytime a device with bluetooth does its scan for nearby devices ranging from every 3 to 10 seconds depending on the device and setting. Then giving a long solid tone whenever something is being sent over or communicating. One demonstration even found where an airtag was hiding in a car. The antennas for these are pretty large so subtlety might be tricky. But im paranoid by default so having something like that when traveling and staying places will be worth it and get work clearing rooms anyway.

1 Like

Be aware Bluetooth tracking isn’t as easy as they might make it seem. The problem is there is so much Bluetooth traffic. If you have an Android phone give WiGle a try. WiGle is a WiFi app but it also does cell towers and Bluetooth. Look at the filter options because otherwise you’re going to see way too much.

1 Like