Bluetooth remote Mouse and Keyboard for Sony "smart" TV Bravia

Hi,
I wanted to use Flipper to emulate a keyboard for my TV Sony Bravia. The reason is that this TV has an old bug that if I connect a BT or USB mouse, it does not activate the on-screen keyboard anymore, and I need to use both in the same time for many apps.

The TV does not see the Flipper.

The BT is on on both devices, the TV is in the BT searching (probably a nickname for pairing mode), Flipper is in the app Bluetooth / Remote / Keyboard, both freshly restarted and Flipper’s Paired devices cleared.
Flipper says “Waiting for Connection…”, TV keeps searching.

The TV BT works OK with its original remote controller or a physical BT mouse, the Flipper Keyboard and Mouse apps work ok with the W10 laptop. The laptop registers the TV BT broadcast ID and the moment I bring Flipper close to the laptop, the Flipper connects to it (remote keyboard works) as before I chose to “Forget All Paired Devices” (does this forgetting really work?).

Is there a bug in the TV or Flipper firmware or some other technicality I dont see?

Many thanks

The Flipper has BLE, not full Bluetooth. I don’t think your Bravia has Bluetooth LE.

Thank you.

I checked the specs of the Sony TV KD-65XF9005 and they claim they support the
" HOGP (low energy device connectivity): the HID over GATT Profile ensures low energy device connectivity."

In full, Sony claims to support BT 4.1; HID, SPP, A2DP , AVRCP. I have the most recent TV firmware.

Sony warns in their manual that a new device would not connect to the TV if it is already connected to another device (laptop in my case).
Hence I am not sure if Flipper really forgets all the paired devices (remember that it still connects to the laptop even after “Forgetting” paired devices, right the moment I turn the BT on in Windows).

I tried coming closer to the TV and rebooted Flipper and TV a few more times - does not help…
Pity that Flipper does not give a better feedback whether it is in pairing mode (the blue LED could blink or something…).

1 Like

You may need to use forget device on the laptop or simply put the laptop in airplane mode temporarily well you pair the Flipper to the TV. Remember that the Flipper may also have multiple Bluetooth profiles on your laptop.

I tried to connect to the TV while having the laptop in the airplane mode, Flipper is invisible for the TV. I also tried the BT link Flipper to AV receiver and an old mobile phone. Neither of these devices sees Flipper.

I cease to believe that Flipper is in pairing mode (since there is no feedback about the mode by the blinking diode).

One last thing to try before trying to ask to update the firmware to fix this: does Flipper really Forget all paired devices?

What if I delete this file from the SD card?
d:\apps_data\hid_ble.bt_hid.keys

Not sure about that.

The feedback is terrible. It seems to be different for every app. Usually I get a blue light when it’s connected.

Good finding. The nearest I could find is HID controllers - Flipper Zero - Documentation … but the part what protocols are supported is missing, as well.

Edit2: wanted to proof that GATT is BT Classic, and stumbled across that it is BLE … GATT | Introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy | Adafruit Learning System

I should let it go for today. No concentration.

Edit3:
SSP and HID looks good so far, if (big if!) it is BLE

typedef enum {
    BtProfileSerial,
    BtProfileHidKeyboard,
} BtProfile;

As I read your question again, I asked myself why a flipper (200e+, not advertised as universal remote) should o this job better than a 40e/USD Logitech Wireless Desktop (Mouse and keyboard at one USB dongle).

I’ve come here for the technical background but I think this is a dead end.