Ferragamo wallet scans as Mifare ultralight

I was testing an RFID/NFC-blocking card in my wallet to see how it compared to nothing. When the blocking card was removed, I kept seeing “Mifare Ultralight 21”. I continued removing cards until all that was left was the wallet itself, and it still showed up.

After some research, I found that Ferragamo (among other luxury brands) have been using RFID codes to validate authenticity, but (unlike Moncler https://code.moncler.com/) I couldn’t find any way of validating the code.

However, by converting the bytecode into human readable, I was able to see a couple obvious things:

1. nfc-sf.com” which resolves to the ferragamo.com website
  2. “S2017” where Spring/Summer 2017 I believe is the year of purchase (and presumably also manufacture)

Without knowing how to decode the rest of the info, this is obviously not enough to verify authenticity in any real way (I presume I’d need to check it against some database), but still pretty cool: in addition to stray pets, your flipper can check the authenticity of luxury goods! lol

If anyone knows anything about how the rest of the scan might decode, here is the string version (with 00 pairs excluded):
\x02ÔH\x84\x1aHû\x01á\x10\x06\x0f\x03\x0fÑ\x01\x0bU\x01nfc-sf.comþI\x01mdzieduszycki0444856I00039540PS2017\x04øÇ·"½\t\x05

Would maybe be a cool widget to be able to quickly parse the bytecode into the alphanumeric parts

2 Likes

Very cool find. I wonder if that also make the wallet impervious to scan or if better scanners could do it.

if you mean RFID blocking, then unfortunately it does not… without the RFID blocking card (and sometimes even with), I could still scan my credit card pretty easily.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I was going to test some of the RFID blocking cards. Deviant Ollam uses a drill to disable the RFID in his cards which isn’t the worst idea if you are very careful. I haven’t used RFID to pay in years. Tap to pay isn’t that useful accept if it’s the only card in your wallet. Then you can pay without taking it out.