Firmware 0.86.1 - Sub-GHz Freezes Flipper Zero

Trying to access the Sub-GHz menu freezes the Flipper Zero after upgrading to Firmware 0.86.1.

I upgraded using qFlipper’s “Update” button.

When pressing the OK button after selecting Sub-GHz, the screen stays in the menu. I can still scroll up and down the menu at this point. The next press of the OK button freezes the device no matter which menu item is selected.
A Left and Back button reboot will make the device responsive again, but with the same issue.

I tried a firmware reinstall from qFlipper, but it did not resolve the issue.

I reverted back to firmware 0.85.2 which resolved the issue.

I have a stock Flipper Zero with no modifications or added programs/apps.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any recommendations?

Try the latest DEV to see if it has the same problem, for me that was a solution/workaround in some cases of cripple code or failing memory cards as mentioned before is worth trying to swap, even if it is just an old 512mb one you have lying around somewhere. For me grabbing cheap memory-cards, no-name from ali caused me most issues. But then again, a bucket of mmc cards for 3 bucks, you still hope you can use some of them :slight_smile:

I’m using a SanDisk 32GB Ultra Micro SD card, so I’m pretty sure the card isn’t the issue. Plus, I’ve seen several people with the exact same problem with the Sub GHz menu.

I was reading the Github issue created for this problem and someone wanted debug logs. I decided to install 0.86.1 again to generate the requested logs, but now it is working normally using Firmware 0.86.1.

For reference, this is what I did.

1. Upgraded the firmware to 0.86.1 using qFlipper

Trying to fix the Menu Issue

1. Rebooted the device several times
  2. Tried the “Reinstall” firmware function in qFlipper
  3. Rebooted the device
  4. Downloaded the file flipper-z-f7-update-0.85.2.tgz from Flipper Zero Firmware Update
  5. Reverted to firmware 0.85.2 using the downloaded file and qFlipper

Attempting to generate the logs

1. Re-seated the SD Card while powered off
  2. Upgraded the firmware to 0.86.1 using qFlipper
  3. Set System > Log Level to: Trace
  4. Set System > Debug to: On
  5. Set System > Heap Trace to: Main
  6. Rebooted the device

At this point, the Sub GHz menu was working as expected.
I set all of the System settings back to default and rebooted and it still works.
I’m not going to mark this as solved, as I’m not sure this procedure will work for anyone else.

It could still be some crippled sectors on the card, hookup the sd to a laptop or something like that and do so a scandisk, and clean/recreate/reformat partitions. the scandisk should be able to find unhappy sectors on the card.

This has been marked as a bug on GitHub. They have a dev firmware version that is supposed to resolve the issue. I’ve seen one person confirm the fix.

Probably best to either revert to 0.85.2 or wait for the fix to be rolled into the official firmware release.

https://update.flipperzero.one/builds/firmware/subghz/fix_check_connect_cc1101_ext/

2 Likes

I received the device today and I had this problem with “subghz” exactly as you described. when I deleted the “radio_device_cc1101_ext.fal” file as you described it, subghz started working properly again.

1 Like

Ok, so this is going to be weird.

I have a solve for this, but it requires the orange silicone flipper protector. When I take it off and put it back on it restores functionality. No joke.

I was bumping the three gold prongs, on the back edge, of the device with the orange silicone protector and it was unfreezing the flipper going into sub-GHz