Get the date of a saved NFC read

the nfc file does not contain date information, wouldn’t it make sense somehow?
what about the filesystem, how can I get the file create/change dates within flipper or attached via usb/smartphone?

I don’t know what you are about to. At first I do think you’re talking about data (some odd looking computer gibberish) and not date (05/06/2023 for example).

If you read a NFC card and save the scan, it is stored at your SDCard.
Either you connect your Flipper via USB to your computer, start qFlipper and copy/open the file or you take out the SDCard from your Flipper (don’t forget to unmount/eject the card or shutdown the Flipper, first) and read it like any other SDcard at your computer.

The directory to safe is not very flexible, you should find all saved NFC files at the cards root in the folder /nfc/.

But as you don’t know how to geth them, what is your goal to edit? Without the knowledge about the data structure and the Flipper interpretation, you will get a 101% chance just to brake the file. On the other hand you can scan your fib/card/whatever as often as you like.
This is also the reason, why you can’t just ‘create a NFC file’. There is no such thing as ‘just create’. You can’t just going to Ibiza, without knowing what you want to do there or how you could reach it … Except you are living there, than take any other distant place on earth.

The more specific you ask, the less idiotic analogy comes from me.

1 Like

thanks for a very comprehensive reply.

But I talked about a date or timestamp of the saved nfc read.

that would help to assign them better, e.g. afterwards, especially if the naming was done in a hurry or without glasses :slight_smile:

not sure what else to write and explain.

After you put the SD card in a pc try right clicking the files one by one and check properties. If a date is available it will show up there. It may also show up in file manage depending on you settings. I don’t know if the date will be accurate. Files downloaded using the app are most likely going to have the date you downloaded them rather then the date the file was created so direct access via SD card in the PC is likely the only way.

1 Like

Filpper only sets time on files for some months, older files will have a hardcoded stamp.

While I never really used the flipper for most tags, the read options seem to work fine, but for cloning and replaying cards i prefer the latency of the proxmark3 rdv4, the flipper seems to be great for reading/dumping stuff and triggering some older LF setups but in more recent setups i think the pm3 would be more compatible for real-time dumps and/or reader interactions. For finding out what you are working with, it’s great, for fast emulation options of different card/frequency types i would advise you to look into the proxmark3 or alternatives that might be available. The flipper has a decent reader, just in latency and replaying in some situations it might not be ideal, and a pm3 might be more of your liking in specific situations. I am not a affiliate or sponsor for lab401 but i have to say they deliver great products and supplies for it and are definitely worth it. build quality is great and antenna’s are almost unbeatable.

1 Like

The most NFC/RFID files I’ve read, are animal tags. They are timeless. Even after the pet died, the tag will give the same information if you’ll dig deep enough.

Than I read some fobs. Some more than one time, because the ‘Read NFC-V’ function came later. They are for example Access cards. Or maybe not all keys are known at the first scan.

The only needed timestamp I can imagine, if the pet has a temperature sensor in the tag. But even than it is just a approximately value and has no medical validation.

So, what NFC do you have in mind, that needs a timestamp? I have no clue.

1 Like

I might be to judgemental but i just read “i wanna clone tags” but i miss the information on the tag type so i can give endless stupid comments but i know far to little about the situation to make a good guess :smile: so stating the obvious seemed the best answer :smiley:

If I understand correctly OP read a bunch of tags and doesn’t remember which ones are which. If there were time stamps then the OP would know in which order they were read. Then maybe could identify to what they go. I guess in the future OP will save the names rather then letting Flipper choose random names.

2 Likes

Public transport?

Here public transport just uses mifare 1k and 4k with just some common fields without variable stuff so cloning a card is pretty easy but I guess it also depends on the implementation of features in your area? Have you tried scanning your tag before/after checking in? does it have variable fields for location etc? or is it just a static tag?

you got it and I am really surprised that my simple question was that much misunderstood.
I find the create timestamp of the read action (and as the closest approximation the .nfc file’s filesystem date) useful and don’t like to change the SD cards too much.
I think even the CLI do no not reveal such info.

I did not check Flipper’s logs yet, that may help as well.

1 Like