Is Flipper obsolete now for HID access cards?

I bought a flipper hoping to be able to use it at work for debugging keycard/reader access issues. I have two 125khz cards and the flipper will not read either of them. One is clearly an HID card, and the other I know is some old technology using a Weigand bit code. If the flipper can’t read either of these, then it’s use is extremely limited IMO. I have read other articles where it talks about different coding systems, but if the only ones the flipper can read are so old they are not used anywhere anymore, what’s the point? Does anyone out there actually work with a system in production these days that the flipper can read and write?

1 Like

Lots of people out there having success with Flipper.

I’m working on trying to figure out the custom data format on the HID 0009P cards at my workplace (I’m IT so I have access to info on it), however it’s a hard process to try and figure what chip is actually in my card since it outputs 96 bits of data. That being said, I have been able to clone and emulate my badge as well as others, so yes, there are most definitely systems using outdated LF cards. The access badge I have from my last job uses basic 26-bit Weigand, which is basically the most insecure LF data format there is. The USA is rife with terrible physical access control systems, especially in the manufacturing and warehousing industries.

Also, if you’re looking to debug, the best answer for you is A) buy a proxmark3, or B) learn how the flipper functions on a low level and write your own apps or firmware to allow the flipper hardware to perform the same functions that a proxmark3 does. Debugging is a programmatic process, and therefore by definition will likely require at least some programming skill/ability to undertake.

1 Like