Paranoia?

So this isn’t some thinly-veiled “Hello fellow teenagers” attempt to skirt around doing shady stuff. My interest in the Flipper Zero comes from an EDC mentality. I like knives and flashlights and watches and all that fancy Instagram pocket junk, and lately I’ve been seeing a lot of people posting Flippers with their gear.

I work in an industrial setting with RFID doors, a TV in the break room, remotes for the office AC and stereo in the shop, stuff like that. I think it would be convenient to have one gadget to control all that stuff. I have permission/access to it all anyway, but much like I enjoy my Leatherman I think an electronic multi-tool would be right up my alley.

My hesitation is all the legal suspicion (and what seems like misinformation) surrounding the Flipper. I’ve read up on it, and I know it’s not all a lot of people worry it to be. I know kids aren’t out there stealing cars and launching nukes with them, but there still seems to be a lot of apprehension with what their purpose is, or what some people assume it to be. I don’t even intend to unlock it so that I can use it on the overhead doors at work (even though I have access to use them) or anything like that. And as such I don’t feel it’s necessary to hide it or be sneaky about using it. But at the same time I don’t want someone to see it and think I’m up to no good.

How justified is my paranoia about owning and using one? If I order one, is the shipment going to get confiscated? Am I going to get a knock on my door asking to explain myself? Maybe it’s all a bit silly, but I just don’t want to deal with a hassle that’s truly undeserved.

1 Like

Since me long answer needs to be approved by the mods, the short one is:

As long as the user does not understand the function of IR/SubGHz/RFID, the cheap CCTV “now with AI” from your neighbour is a bigger thread to your paranoia.

Canada is attempting to forbid Flippers (no idea on how far did it go), other countries seem to be fine.

1 Like

I don’t see you mention where you live so I’ll assume the US. I don’t hide my Flipper and I don’t hide my lock picks. It’s natural to be a little “paranoid”. I tried to break myself of that by picking locks in public. I’ve never been questioned about them. If you act suspicious people will be suspicious. If you act confident people will typically ignore you. Actually the last time I picked a lock in public I ended up with a small audience just because they were curious how that worked. That said there is always going to be people that believe the BS so there’s always going to be that “one guy” talking crap behind your back. Your mileage may vary depending on where you are.

1 Like

Don’t need to create a monster based on acquiring a piece of hardware. The same happen to me when i saw all the possibilities i could do with nirsoft.exe from https://www.nirsoft.net/.

Nirsoft is awesome with some fantastically useful tools!

1 Like