Wifi passthru for evil portal

I don’t know about you guys but the folks around here aren’t too bright but they aren’t Stoopid either. No one’s gonna join a wifi network with no Internet connection. So unless I’m missing the get down here we need a pass thru to at least serve them a follow up page or something? It’s late or is it early anyways I’m stoned so my words may not be super smart. Should make sense enuff. Do we need extra hardware for this or can we use the dev board and phone connection via Bluetooth tethering and share the phones data. Sounds doable. Ok bye.

Okay, I assume you are living in a 1st world area, more city than village. Nice observation, but there are a lot situation where people are craving for any network. Just try if I am able to upload a post to $socialmedia …

A few years back, I’ve attended a school where 600 pupils in age between 16 and 25 spend time together. But there was only one room with 4 internet PC. Some of us has laptops, and some of them even got WiFi (yes, it was an extra at this time).

Later I opened a AP on my Linux laptop. I saw some traffic and started to capture it. The wealthy already got smartphones. So the phone is connecting to an open AP, the apps are trying to login…
Interesting. If they don’t find any response the connection was terminated. If they found a faulty answer, the are asking for the credentials … So, some hours without Internet, I’ve set up a httpd and a plain bind…
At this time I was far away from any IT job, bit I’ve build a honeypod without knowing it. After 3 weeks I’ve captured passive 138 credentials.

So I went to the Internet PC and dumped some regular called sites. Google, Facebook, Web.de, GMX, … Than setup sile virtual sites. I rebuild es the login dialogs and after ‘successful’ login, the sites claimed the service went down… 4 days later the first person on campus tiled me if I knew Google gone bankrupt…

Today we have Apps for everything, Certificates and more awareness. I don’t think with my knowledge from these days you can get anything today. But I think with the same energy you can use the Evil Portal, even today.
Just analyze what is needed to get the information you want.

It is called 'Social Engineering ', not ‘IQ Test’.

1 Like

Another thought is about probe requests. Wifi devices will send out probe requests, looking for previous access points they’ve connected to (for instance, free wifi at Starbucks). If you can capture the ssids of what these probe requests are looking for (and are willing to automatically connect to), then you have a better use case for evil portal. If a phone nearby has previously connected to Starbucks free wifi (no WPA- uses captive portal), you can have ready a payload to have an evil access point with the same name and a similar portal.

1 Like

Actually I do live in a rural area where I am most of the day there is exactly 2 wifi networks within range and where I am the rest of the time there are about eight -86dbi so unless I drive to the city and sit in 105 degree weather these are my options. Now I do realize the social engineering aspect . People round here are well they’re well off $$ and a lil paranoid because of it. With good reason. I’m getting off topic… Ahh fuck y’all are just gonna talk shit anyways… Next time a geek rolls thru my shop needing some parts machined I’ll pass on the helpful attitude. :fu::fu::fu::fu:

Like always I’ll figure it out myself.

Not sure how that went South so quick but the original question was valid. The trick is to phish credentials with a captive portal page then pass them to a real access point. Man in the middle is less productive then it used to be. Almost everything is encrypted and https is default.

You don’t have to babysit the Flipper. Go inside to shop or have a coffee. Heck take the Flipper in to get some coffee too.

Okay, you seems to be the most valuable person around here. Sorry I missed that, while focusing on the technical part. I am very sorry that my try to understand your generalised question without any details or findings and give a proper answer does not match your quality standards. Feel free and reach your to my manager to complain. Can we go back to topic, now?

How do you know if a WiFi has Internet or not, before connecting?
Why is using a known SSID, like @emptythevoid suggested, not an option?

The provided passthrough (MITM) won’t be very performant and costs a lot of energy. So I suggest to use the automatic connections.
I’m my little world this is more effective with the limited resources, and faster. Drive-By instead of camp.

But this approach(es) seems not to fit in your mindset.
Have a nice life.

1 Like

My thought exactly. The device will look for a captive portal so give it a captive portal. People are used to captive portals. Many captive portals ask for log in details. Offer to let them log in via whatever information you are looking for. You can even grab a phone number by saying they need a one time code. “We have seen suspicious activity on your account. Please enter your phone number for a 1 time code.” or “Please verify your identity by entering your email matching *******@gmail.com. If that is not your email please click here to log in with another account.” They will think “this page knows I use gmail.com so this must be legit” but I’m just guessing because it is so popular. :laughing: